WBD Beauty: Big Hair Don’t Care!
by WBD Hair Expert Leanne Cordeiro
Welcome to our new WBD Beauty series on hair! First up, BIG HAIR DON’T CARE! Over the next few weeks, I will show you how to get that beautiful BIG HAIR you only see in magazines. All of your favourite styles – the loose curls, the stylish pony tails and the perfect undone looks – all start with the same base. With a few time-saving tips and tricks, in no time you will have BIG HAIR DON’T CARE look too!
Let’s start with the basics – working with what you’ve got! No matter where you’re starting from, all of these BIG HAIR DON’T CARE looks can be easily achieved you follow a few simple rules.
1.Don’t wash your hair every day, or even every couple of days.
I have said it before and I will say it again, washing your hair is so overrated! It’s also a waste of time. Water brings our hair back to its natural state, which for most of us is too flat, too frizzy, too curly and too frustrating. What is the point of washing and conditioning your hair right back to square one and needing to style your hair all over again??
Water is also very bad for our hair. Water also has a neutral ph of 7, but hair and skin have a ph of 4.5 to 5.5, which means water actually DAMAGES the hair, weakening the strands and making it more susceptible to breakage.
Once it is wet and washed, it needs to be blow dried, set and styled. No one has time or wants to do this every day! So, how about this instead? Wake up, throw a shower cap on, have a body shower, skip the hair washing and drying and skip right to the styling part?
2.Train your hair to be better.
Most people are concerned that their hair gets ‘too greasy’ when they don’t wash it every day. And for some people this is true. Greasy hair can be caused by a few different factors:
- You are over washing your hair: When you frequently shampoo your hair, you are continually stripping the natural oils from your head. In turn, your scalp starts to over produce more oil, hence, the greasy hair. The good news is you can train your head and hair to be better! By slowly decreasing the amount you wash your hair, your oil production will be more stable, and your hair less greasy.
- You are using the wrong shampoo: Too moisturizing of a shampoo could be giving your hair too much moisture. Or if you are using drug store shampoo, it contains a lot of fillers such as wax, which coat the hair making it heavy.
- You are misusing conditioner: Conditioner is only for the ends of your hair (from the ears down). Your scalp has its oils, it’s all good! (Don’t go plopping a hand full of conditioner right on top of your head and then wonder why your hair is greasy.)
4.Buy the right tools and products.
So you’re willing to give this a shot… You are going to break the cycle of washing your hair every day and train it to be better. Now what? What do you do with day old hair, or dare I say 2, 3, or 4 day old hair??? Get the right tools and products and you are set! Welcome dry shampoo, your new best friend. Dry shampoo is sprayed directly on the roots to absorb oils and moisture from the scalp, leaving your hair feeling fresh and clean. It begins working immediately and will help you build that BIG HAIR DON’T CARE look.
My favourite dry shampoo is the Redken PILLOW PROOF EXTENDER. Not only does it work really well, it is an aerosol spray with a fresh and clean peppermint grapefruit scent.
PRO TIP: It doesn’t say it on the bottle, but I find after you spray it on to the root of your hair, blasting it with the blow dryer produces a better result, especially after a workout.
With a little practice and patience, following these rules will give you the base for creating all the BIG HAIR DON’T CARE looks. Next session I will be start building on this base by introducing the backcombing techniques.
Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned!
Leanne Cordeiro is a Redken Certified Colorist with over a decade of experience in the hair industry. Leanne is the owner of the gorgeous and upscale Salon Cordeiro, known for their superior hair services in a warm and decadent environment. WBD is excited to welcome Leanne as their new featured hair expert!
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- The hottest rapper of 2017 that's been under our nose this entire time!! 🤣🤣🤣 Love this! #happymonday https://t.co/QMwhCkMjx6
- About last night 💃🏾📸 ✨ @tfw @bustleclothing @therealstaceymckenzie . . . #torontofashionweek #tfw #toronto... https://t.co/5cp4Z432je
- About last night 💃🏾📸 ✨ tfw @shawnhewson @StaceyMcKenzie1 . . . #torontofashionweek #tfw… https://t.co/GfgaDO7QXT